Speed dating events in gloucester
During the period of turmoil between the supporters of King Henry III and the barons who sought to curtail his power, the town was the scene of a major battle in 1233, in which the king's forces were routed by the troops of Richard Marshal, Earl of Pembroke.
Later, the castle was extended by Henry's son Edmund Crouchback, after he became Earl of Lancaster in 1267.
Evidence of a Bronze Age boatbuilding community, including three 100 feet (30 m) long channels adjoining the site of a now-vanished lake, was discovered in September 2013, during archaeological investigations by the Monmouth Archaeological Society of the Parc Glyndwr housing development site, immediately north-west of the town.
Oak timbers had been "skillfully" cut with stone or flint axes to form stilts, of posts and poles, which "probably" rested on three parallel fully-grown tree 'sleeper beams', up to 3 feet 3 inches (1 m) wide, laid horizontally on the lakebed.
The first recorded settlement at Monmouth was the small Roman fort of Blestium, one of a network of military bases established on the frontiers of the Roman occupation.
This was connected by road to the larger Roman towns at Glevum (Gloucester) and Isca Augusta (Caerleon).
Archaeologists have found Roman pottery and coins within the modern town centre.
Indeed, the Council for British Archaeology have designated Monmouth as one of the top ten towns in Britain for archaeology.
In 1056, the area was devastated by the Welsh prince Gruffydd ap Llywelyn, on his way with an army of Welsh, Saxons and Danes to defeat Ralph, Earl of Hereford and sack the Saxon burh at Hereford, 18 miles (29 km) to the north.
Following the Norman conquest of England in 1066, the earldom of Hereford was given to William fitz Osbern of Breteuil, Normandy, one of King William's closest allies, who was responsible for defending the area against the Welsh.
After the end of Roman rule in Britain, the area was at the southern edge of the Welsh kingdom of Ergyng.
The only evidence of continuing settlement at Monmouth is a record of a 7th-century church, at an unknown location within the town, dedicated to the Welsh saint Cadoc.